Enter & View at Ward 17, BRI
Healthwatch young volunteers have previously undertaken a “walk about” on some of the young people’s wards to gather views about the hospital environment and listen to patients’ views about the care they receive. During the walk about there were some concerns raised about nutrition and hydration.
This visit was organised as an opportunity to follow up some of these concerns; Healthwatch representatives were given the opportunity to check what young people’s experiences were on another children’s ward, Ward 17.
Key findings from our visit:
- Good play area for younger children, however room for improvement for older children.
- Very good display on Friends & Family Test, easy to understand and eye-catching.
- We found people were happy with the menu choices available, but struggled to identify suitability for their dietary requirements.
- The child-friendly menu was available but not in use on the ward.
- We heard about some difficulties in monitoring food/fluid intake.